> This seems a little messy. Is there any way to signify from the
> application server, via response headers, to say "I'm bust, please stop
> using me"?

  This isn't what you're asking for, but it might be useful to you, so
here goes...

  If you go to the '/balancer' URL for your balancer manager you'll
see a nice little cluster manager page that allows you to enable and
disable the nodes in your cluster. You can also enable or disable
nodes too from that page and if you're clever you can analyse the
request the form makes when you do this.

  I use this (and 'curl') to tell the Apache side of things when a
node is down on my server...

curl "http://127.0.0.1/balancer?b=cluster&w=http://127.0.0.1:8080&dw=Disable";

  You'll need to adjust your cluster name (the b parameter) and the IP
and port, or course. To say the node is up is the same, but the dw
parameter is changed to 'Enable'.

--
Rob ([EMAIL PROTECTED])