Joseph S D Yao wrote:
I understand that the argument to the Proxy directive is supposed to be
a shell-style wildcard (rather than a simple prefix match), as the
argument to the ProxyMatch directive is supposed to be a Perl-style
regular expression.
Ok.  So a shell style wildcard never hits on a path delimiter, right?

That depends on what "shell-style wildcard" means in a given
implementation.  I have seen ones where the path delimiter is not a
special character.  As the '/' is (a) not solely a path delimiter and
(b) not the unique path delimiter, in a URL, I had not expected that to
be a special character here.

Shell wildcards are sensitive to path delimiters; read RFC 2616 and its
cited RFC's; "/" are path delimiters, End of discussion.

In fact, noting that a "*" will match
"http://www.example.com/dir1/dir2/dir3/page.html";, I rather suspect that
it is not.

It will.

    <Proxy http://*.tuxedo.org*>
Perhaps you meant http://*.tuxedo.org/*

But the trailing * is redundant.  drop it all together.

Yours does not accept the common usage, "http://www.tuxedo.org";, with no
trailing '/'.  Most Web servers will accept and correct this.

No; they don't - your browser did.  But that correction is prior to httpd
handling the request.  "/" is the minimal path, see the RFC.

It is not clear to me that the "*" is redundant.  Without it, don't I
restrict myself to the home page?

No

All examples I have seen used with
<Proxy> that are not using "*" end in '*'.

Who suggested random configurations you discover from google are any good?