On 8/29/08, Zach Uram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  I run apache2 on Debian. I want to set up subdomain so instead of
>  www.example.org/html/foo.html visitors can just visit http://foo.example.org
> so
>  what specifically must I do in apache conf to do this and what type
>  of record should I add in my GoDaddy DNS control panel and what will
>  the record look like?
>
>  Zach

Short post, many concepts.
- DNS connects server names to IP Addresses.
- A Web server can handle several server names on one IP Address.
Apache httpd calls these virtual servers.
- A website has content.  Basic websites associate a URL with a
content file under a root directory.  Multiple websites can access the
same files with different root directories.

You must:
1. Add foo.example.org to your DNS.  (I do not know GoDaddy's control
panel. Ask GoDaddy.)
2. Add a virtual server in httpd.conf setting the DocumentRoot to the
correct subdirectory.
<VirtualHost *>
        ServerName foo.example.org
        DocumentRoot /var/www/html/foo