2008/8/30 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On 8/29/08, Zach Uram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  I run apache2 on Debian. I want to set up subdomain so instead of
> >  www.example.org/html/foo.html visitors can just visit
> http://foo.example.org so
> >  what specifically must I do in apache conf to do this and what type
> >  of record should I add in my GoDaddy DNS control panel and what will
> >  the record look like?
> >
> >  Zach
>
> Short post, many concepts.
> - DNS connects server names to IP Addresses.
> - A Web server can handle several server names on one IP Address.
> Apache httpd calls these virtual servers.
> - A website has content.  Basic websites associate a URL with a
> content file under a root directory.  Multiple websites can access the
> same files with different root directories.
>
> You must:
> 1. Add foo.example.org to your DNS.  (I do not know GoDaddy's control
> panel. Ask GoDaddy.)
> 2. Add a virtual server in httpd.conf setting the DocumentRoot to the
> correct subdirectory.
> <VirtualHost *>
>        ServerName foo.example.org
>        DocumentRoot /var/www/html/foo
> </VirtualHost>
>
> HTH,
> solprovider

>   "   from the digest: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Zach,

I have virtual hosts in my conf file too, for sub-domains. As far as DNS set
up goes:

You need (and probably already have) an A-Record hostname (mine is
samwootton.com), then you set-up an Alias C-NAME record, (mine is
work.samwootton.com). Thats should be all you need to do. Then in your conf,
you just set up a virtual host for your new domain name.

Regards, Sam Wootton