Melanie Pfefer wrote:
> hi Davide,
>
> both apache instances have the basic configuration. They have
different port numbers: the main apache is on port 80 and the other 3
instances on 5001, 6001 and 7001.

> In the main apache (port 80), I added as you suggested:
>
> NameVirtualHost *:80
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>         ServerName alias1
>         ProxyPass / http://alias1:5001
>         ProxyPassReverse / http://alias1:5001
> </VirtualHost>
>
> but still http://alias1 goes to port 80 while I expect it to go to port 5001.

Hummm.. not sure if I understand what you mean with 'goes to port 80'...

This is what I just did:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName      cups
        ProxyPass       /       http://localhost:631/
        ProxyPassReverse        /       http://localhost:631/
</VirtualHost>

(cups runs on port 631 on my system) and I can get cups' interface by
using http://cups/. Of course, this goes to port 80 on my system and is
then 'proxied' to port 631.

What you mean with "goes to port 80" ? What sort of result you get in
your browser? What remains in your error_log or access_log ?

Davide

--
USER, n.: The word computer professionals use when they mean "idiot."
--Dave Barry, "Claw Your Way to the Top"