Justin Pasher wrote:
Mike Soultanian wrote:
Justin Pasher wrote:

You can simplify this a bit by saying "redirect anything that is not going to www.csulb.edu". However, you'll have to put the rewrite directives inside the <VirtualHost> configuration for the SSL version of the site, as the .htaccess file is run after a connection is established with the browser.

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.csulb\.edu$
RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ https://www.csulb.edu/$1 [R=permanent,L]

Hey Justin,
But will this still avoid the certificate error that is received upon going to https://csulb.edu? According to a previous reply, Eric said that the SSL handshake is handled before the redirect.

thanks,
Mike

If you do it within the apache config, the server will send the 302 redirect header before trying to exchange any SSL key related information. Once they have been kicked over to https://www.csulb.edu/, the normal SSL handshake will occur, since they will not hit the rewrite rule.

Actually, ignore everything I just said. All this time I thought that was what apache was doing, but it's actually occurring after the mismatched server name warning is presented. The rewrite rule will still catch the request and redirect them to https://www.csulb.edu, but not until after the warning has already been issued.

*sigh*

--
Justin Pasher