I can't figure out how ldapsearch is connecting -- either via LDAP or
LDAPS.  I'm so confused.  Here's what I ran:
   ldapsearch -x -W -D "cn=ewb,ou=service accounts,dc=rice,dc=edu" -b
"ou=People,dc=rice,dc=edu" '(uid=XYZ)' -h ldap.rice.edu

I don't know if it's connecting with ldap or ldaps...If I try to catch it in
netstat, it's either not there, or netstat doesn't list ldapsearch as the
program running it.

In any case, I switched the apache configuation to use port 389, and instead
of hanging, it just rejected the authentication over and over (I had to keep
entering my username and password over and over)

- Mike Benza