Robert,

You CAN enter the URL directly in a browser, and the page 'should' scroll down to the anchor (<a name='foo'>). A sample URL would be: http://hostname/foo#bar.

Now, a rule is allowed to redirect to an anchor. It simply cannot match or capture it.

To address your issue with Safari, I have several co-workers that use it, and they never reported that issue.

Robert T Wyatt wrote:
Thanks Frank,

What I'm hearing is that the redirection is using a RegEx and that the
hash character cannot be a player. Furthermore, the fact that this
works on most browsers (but fails on Safari) is due to them being not
strictly compliant.

Is that about it?

Thanks,
Robert

Frank Gingras wrote:
Hello Robert,

Actually, the # in the URI indicates an anchor, not a comment. They
cannot be matched on, nor captured.

Frank