Robert,

Apparently, you didn't listen to my last reply. Let me put into very simple words:

1) There is a redirection happening from 'www.utexas.edu' to 'utexas.edu', and it's using mod_rewrite.

- Apache sees that you accessed www.utexas.edu, and tells you no, I'd rather you use utexas.edu instead. It performs a redirect to utexas.edu. - Since, as I stated now 5 times, mod_rewrite cannot capture or preserve the anchor in the process, the resulting URL will NOT end with #acc.

2) At this point, we're at http://utexas.edu (without the #acc at the end, as explained in point 1). It's lost. You can't get it back.

3) If you wanted to jump to the anchor, use 'http://utexas.edu/student/registrar/schedules/092/regrules/all.html#acc' directly. It'll bypass the mod_rewrite redirection, and work as expected. I tested it here under OSX 10.4.

There is no 'wishful thinking' in this process, whatsoever.

Robert T Wyatt wrote:
Hi Frank,

I appreciate the fact that you seem to know all the answers and are
willing to share them, but apparently you never tried this link with
Safari as compared with any other browser:
http://www.utexas.edu/student/registrar/schedules/092/regrules/all.html#acc

I do understand why the redirection (mod_rewrite) is not supposed to
work now thanks to this discussion. Personally, I think Eric is onto
something with the fact that some browsers store the anchor but Safari
does not (and should not).

In my own defense, I believe that "my misconceptions" could be better
referred to as "my wishful thinking."

Best,
Robert

Frank Gingras wrote:
Robert,

The issue is simple here: The www.utexas.edu site automatically
redirects to utexas.edu with mod_rewrite (see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/misc/rewriteguide.html#url). As you
know, and as I explained to you several times now, mod_rewrite cannot
see or capture the initial anchor, so it cannot use it in the redirection.

The resulting URL is then
http://utexas.edu/student/registrar/schedules/092/regrules/all.html
(notice the stripped anchor).

If you were to access
http://utexas.edu/student/registrar/schedules/092/regrules/all.html#acc
directly, every browser would jump directly to the anchor without a
problem.

Frank

Robert T Wyatt wrote:
Here's the link:
http://www.utexas.edu/student/registrar/schedules/092/regrules/all.html#acc

You'll find that you are successfully redirected on every browser
except Safari to:
http://registrar.utexas.edu/schedules/092/regrules/all.html#acc
(on Safari you wind up at:
http://registrar.utexas.edu/schedules/092/regrules/all.html as
predicted by the documentation)

I'll come back to the other comments after a meeting I'm attending.

Thanks for your input and efforts,
Robert

Frank Gingras wrote:
Robert,

Your first quote simply states that the characters after the hash sign
cannot be extracted by mod_rewrite. Nothing else. That guide even gives
you a workaround.

The second link can be circumvented with the [NE] flag. In any case, try
this simple ruleset on your server (directly in one of your vhosts, or
in the main configuration, if you don't have vhosts):

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/foo http://www.google.com/#name_of_anchor

It works with FF, IE, Konq, and many more browsers.

Your 'does not work' claim is dubious at best. How about you give us a
link to a page where the rewriting takes place, and we'll try to open it
with Safari from here?

Frank