Due to tomcat (& hosting) problems, I want to redirect everything except
files ending in .jsp and .do to a ROOT/ directory
So I have a .htaccess file as :
DirectoryIndex redirect.html
RewriteEngine on

# Redirect directory index to home page
RewriteRule  redirect.html      home.do  [L]

# Redirect commonly used links
RewriteRule  clientadmin$     clientadmin/articlelist.do [L]
RewriteRule  admin$             admin/articlelist.do        [L]

# Redirect everything except .jsp or .do to ROOT
RewriteRule  \.(do|jsp)$     -              [L]
#RewriteRule  ROOT/       -              [L]  should not be needed ?
RewriteRule  ^(.*)$          ROOT/$1 [L]

I have one specific problem, the default for the directory (directory index)
doesn't work. using www.mysite.co.uk  shows the index of ROOT ?

Also, as it stands, I get an internal server error, which I can fix by
uncommenting #RewriteRule  ROOT/ - [L]  but why is this line needed ?

More generally still, is there any way of finding out what's going on here ?
My hosting company is a bit restrictive, so I'm limited to changes in
.htaccess.

Regards
Andrew Connick