Thanks for your help;
I have interspersed my response below

Matt McCutchen wrote:
On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 12:23 -0600, Robert Steinmetz AIA wrote:
Here is my entire current VirtualHost some of it is probably redundant, like the <Proxy> tags. I have tried a lot of variations and so far none of them have affected the error message I get.

<VirtualHost *:80 >

        ServerAdmin webmas...@localhost
        ServerName application.mydomain.com
        # DocumentRoot /var/www/application

        ProxyRequests Off

        <Proxy *>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
        </Proxy>

        ProxyPreserveHost On
        ProxyPass / http://192.168.1.2/application/
        # ProxyPass / http://192.168.1.2/
        ProxyPassReverse /  http://192.168.1.2/application/
        # ProxyPassReverse / http://192.168.1.2/

        SetOutputFilter  proxy-html
        ProxyHTMLInterp On
        ProxyHTMLExtended On
        ProxyHTMLURLMap / /application S

</VirtualHost>
When I access the server at http://application/mydomain/com

I get the correct login screen which is actually

    http://application/mydomain.co/default.aspx

My point was that while you can access the login page fine, it contains
an incorrect link that is sending you to the wrong page after you log
in.  The purpose of mod_proxy_html is to adjust this link.
I think I knew that, however as you note below it seem to be having no effect.
After logging in I get this error

  Server Error in '/application' Application.

    /The resource cannot be found./

* Description: *HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

* Requested URL: */application/application/file.aspx
The browser says its at;

    http://applicaiton.mydomain.com/application/fileaspx

If I edit the URL in the browser to

    http://application.mydoamin.com/file.aspx

everything works fins and the application performs properly.

Two issues:

1. The error you pasted suggests that your ProxyHTMLURLMap rule is not
taking effect at all.  My guess is that you need to include the
configuration file that defines all the places links appear in HTML:
I agree it looks like the ProxyHTMLURLMap has no effect.

However, in /etc/apache2/mods-available I have proxy_html.conf and proxy_html.load so it should be working unless something else needs to be done in my configuration to enable it The proxy_html.conf appears identical to the link you provided, and I am not getting any errors when I load apache or when I test the configuration, so I think it is being recognized.

Checking the logs I see these errors;

[Wed Feb 04 16:45:26 2009] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restart
[Wed Feb 04 16:45:26 2009] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts
[Wed Feb 04 16:45:26 2009] [notice] Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.4-2ubuntu5.4 with Suhosin-Patch proxy_html/3.0.0 configured -- resuming normal operations [Wed Feb 04 16:48:15 2009] [error] proxy: ap_get_scoreboard_lb(1) failed in child 4494 for worker proxy:reverse [Wed Feb 04 16:48:15 2009] [error] proxy: ap_get_scoreboard_lb(0) failed in child 4494 for worker http://192.168.1.2/application/

http://apache.webthing.com/svn/apache/filters/proxy_html/proxy_html.conf

2. Your ProxyHTMLURLMap rule is backwards, since you want to *remove*
the /application prefix from the links generated by the back-end (which
is the reverse of the scenario in the HOWTO, as you can see by comparing
your ProxyPass directive to those in the HOWTO).  The rule should be:

ProxyHTMLURLMap / /application

(I don't understand what the capital S was doing at the end of your
rule.)
That was one of the many things I tried to see if I could get something to happen. I have now changed as suggested.
and the response is still the same.
Once you get the HTML rewriting working,
I appreciate your help, any ideas on what to attempt next?
you will need to enable
ProxyPassReverseCookieDomain and ProxyPassReverseCookiePath if your
application uses cookies.

I don't believe it uses cookies, since if I manually rewrite URL everything works as its supposed to, but one the rewriting get working check that..
--
Robert Steinmetz, AIA
Principal