On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Krist van Besien
<krist.vanbes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 6:15 AM, Rex C. Eastbourne
> <rex.eastbou...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the replies. I am working on a Slicehost server with a static IP
>> address; it looks something like 173.23.45.67. I'm able to navigate to this
>> IP address from any computer as if it were any other domain name. What I was
>> wondering is whether it's possible to navigate to a "subdomain" of an IP
>> address, so that "testing.173.23.45.67" and "production.173.23.45.67" would
>> be an actual valid websites. However, I am starting to get the feeling that
>> this might not be possible.
>
> This  is indeed impossible. I wonder where you ever got the feeling
> that this might be possible.

using your own example below and adding
"67.148.130.3 test.67.148.130.3"
to my /etc/hosts
I even created a test theory page that  would come up if your dns
resolved as such eww yucky.
It would not be possible from the outside because your not likely to
be able to get that domain name so I can see maybe why you say
impossible. I can't see why it would be desirable and I did read it
wrong. I thought he was talking about what you put below and worded it
funny. But an inside dns you could possibly add the addresses to
lookup correctly. Yucky don't use numbers as your subdomain rule of
thumb.