On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:12 AM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> Rex C. Eastbourne wrote:
> [...]
>

>> So it looks like there is indeed a NameVirtualHost * in another file. What
>> would be the best modification to make now?
>>
>> Delete that line and restart Apache.
> Then do apache2ctl -S again.

Thanks again for the helpful replies. I followed those instructions. Now the
error message is gone, and I can go to X.X.X.X (my IP address) and see
what's sitting in /var/www/testing. However, going to either of the
subdomains of my IP address, production.X.X.X.X or testing.X.X.X.X, still
doesn't work; I get an "Address not Found" error in my browser. I tried
Jeff, Krist, and Andre's solutions with similar results..

Here is the current output of apache2ctl -S:

============================
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
VirtualHost configuration:
wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
*:80                   is a NameVirtualHost
         default server testing.X.X.X.X
(/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:3)
         port 80 namevhost testing.X.X.X.X
(/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:3)
         port 80 namevhost production.X.X.X.X
(/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default:8)
Syntax OK
============================

Here is what my /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default file looks like (per
Krist's advice, I emptied httpd.conf):
============================
NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
             DocumentRoot /var/www/testing
             ServerName testing.X.X.X.X
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80>
             DocumentRoot /var/www/production
             ServerName production.X.X.X.X
</VirtualHost>
============================

Can anyone spot if something is wrong here?

Maybe I'll back up for a second and describe my goal in case there is a
better way to do this. I want to set up testing.[my IP address] and
production.[my IP address] so that I can simultaneously run a testing and
production version of a small web app on the same server. I would like to
have the code for the test version in, say, ~/testing, and the code for the
production version in ~/production, and simply copy my code from ~/testing
to ~/production when I'm ready. So far Virtual Hosts seem like the most
logical way to do this, but I'm a bit stuck so I'm wondering if it's better
to explore alternatives.

Thanks,

Rex