On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Ed Lazor <edla...@internetarchitects.biz> wrote:
> Apache 2.2 on OS X 10.5.6
>
> Is there a way that Apache can be configured to automatically map
> domains to directories with SSL enabled, using a single IP, and using
> a common SSL cert?  And is there a way to do this with hosted domains
> being able to have their own rewrite configurations stored in
> .htaccess files and with server environment variables like
> Document_Root having the correct value?
>
> This is for the laptop I do web development on.  Reconfiguring the
> server gets old when I have to do it for every single domain that I'm
> working on.  VirtualDocumentRoot works great for non-ssl.  I'd prefer
> to just use one IP on my laptop, use the same cert for testing /
> development, and it would be nice not having to create a new virtual
> host record each time.
>
> Is this possible?  I know about ssl / http connections and why ssl
> normally needs to use it's own IP, etc..  I'm just hoping someone has
> come up with some sort of work around or some sort of confirmation
> that it's a lost cause.
>
> Thanks,
> -Ed

Despite common quotations to the contrary, you /can/ successfully use
Name-based Virtual Hosts with SSL. The caveat is that you have to use
the same certificate and all the same SSL settings for all the virtual
hosts, but that seems to be exactly what you're asking for. The first
vhost that Apache finds for SSL will be used for configuring the SSL
aspects, but beyond that, it will do further processing with the
correct vhost as long as you have them listening on SSL port.

I think that's all there is to it. I know I have it working on my
server: if you're having trouble, I can reference my config files for
you, but I won't get a change to till tomorrow night (Eastern Time).

Hope that helps,
-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://pgp.mit.edu/