At first I thought this was a problem with my python/fastcgi config,
but now I've noticed that php5 apps like Wordpress can't resolve hosts
either.  Resolving hosts works just fine on the command line via the
"host" command though so it's not like DNS is broken.  Hence it seems
that the common link is apache.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to
debug this?

OS X 10.5.6
Apache 2.2.11 (via MacPorts)

Thanks,