hi,

this will prob be a trip down memory lane for ya...

i downloaded and installed the Apache Webserver 2.2.11 for windows on an xp
machine.

i am trying to find a set of steps to follow to be able to host websites from
my dining room computer.   there are tons of "statements/documents" for how to
do something, but there is no logical process to follow!!!!!!!

 this is what i did so far:

installed apache 2.2 on Windows XP Professional PC; 512mb ram, 80 gb sata hard
drive, Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, Belkin F5D7001 Wireless NIC.  The NIC
works for all internet thru a linksys/cisco WRT54G2 Wireless router.  I have
not port forwarded anything yet but I do understand basically how port
forwarding works.  I had to do it for VNC remote access and got it to work.
The router is connected to a Broadband/Cable Modem via Time Warner Cable.

I have a registered domain of www.jrubinic.us from godaddy.com.  Went to
zoneedit.com for some reason to get DNS Service (again, lotsa
"dots"/documentation but nothing connected yet).  I had godaddy.com transfer
the nameserver addresses to the ones for zoneedit.com and that worked.

I have already screwed up the Listen Directive by trying to put in an IP
address along with a port.  The server would not start and I remember reading
somewhere that it would do that if I screwed the Listen Directive up.  It did.
I read some more, looked at the error log files and it told me it could not
"bind??" to my WAN IP address.  Since I have written software before I know to
only change one thing at a time then see what happens..  I commented out the
changed config lines and put back the "Listen 80" directive and the Server
restarted.

After I installed the 2.2 Apache server it said to test the install by going to
another pc, open a browser and type in http://localhost/ .   THE BAD THING IS I
DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY IT WORKED.   I