On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 11:27 AM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Apache 2.2.x, configuration.
> I have read this : http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/sections.html
> but some aspect is still not very clear to me.
>
> If I have :
>
> <Location "/zone1/private">
>  .. some directives A ..
> </Location>
>
> <Location "/zone2/private">
>  .. some directives B ..
> </Location>
>
> <LocationMatch "/private$">
>  .. some directives C ..
> </LocationMatch>

> (The above URIs do not reside on the filesystem.)
>
> If I access "http://myhost.company.com/zone1/private";,
> are the above directives A and C combined ?

It depends on the directive, because each module merges their
configuration between sections explicitly.

The ambiguous ones are the ones that are conceptually lists.  For
example, adding a new DirectoryIndex or Require is interpreted as a
fresh start even though one might expect/desire the opposite.
Contrast with the various mod_mime directives (AddType, AddHandler,
etc) which really are merged together from location to location.

> I guess that the basic question is : does Apache finally select one and only
> one Location/LocationMatch which applies, and then apply only the directives
> within that section, or does it accumulate/merge all that applies ?
> From the doc, I believe the latter, but it would be nice to have a definite
> confirmation by an expert.

They are merged two-at- a-time from lowest to highest priority, but it
may ultimately look like the "last" one is selected depending on the
directives (the final per-directory config can be treated as the
verbatim config, or treated as a delta from the result of the previous
merges)

--
Eric Covener
cove...@gmail.com