Okay, so ..
I made a little test. In the same directory with my cgi script I write
a .htaccess file containig this:

Allow from all
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^([^/\.]+)/?$ nph-main.cgi?lid=$1&header=%{HTTP:Range}

The problem now is that when I call the script like this:
http://web.devel/cgi-bin/rs/24333/

the browser says:

Not Found
The requested URL /var/www/cgi-bin/rs/nph-main.cgi was not found on this server

which I find very strange because the script is there. Another thing I
noticed is that apache logs this error:

[Tue Apr 07 00:59:08 2009] [error] [client 192.168.18.1] File does not
exist: /var/www/html/var

Any hints what could it be ?
Thanks again!