Peter Schober wrote:
* André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> [2009-05-11 19:24]:
in all kinds of applications that can run under Apache, to obtain a user-id ? The answer is basically no, because Apache (and HTTP) do not define such a standard mechanism.

Support for REMOTE_USER is not so bad, I'd say.

Well, REMOTE_USER is a cgi environment variable. It is only set for applications that run as cgi-bin's.

Without being absolutely certain, I would assume that any of the standard mod_auth* modules supplied with Apache would, after authentication, set the user-id into some field of the internal Apache request record.

So theoretically (if it was set), any program/module running under Apache /could/ obtain this authenticated user-id from Apache, by reading it from this internal request record, presuming they had an interface to do so.
The question is, do they ?

The question is also, do all of these other add-on authentication modules set this same field in the internal Apache record ?
They are certainly not obliged to by any RFC I've read.