That's correct.. There's layer 2 and then there's layer 3. The initial connection to most ISP's take place with the MAC address, and use arp traffic - it's not IP based.

Also, your DSL modem won't work with another ISP because the languages spoken (simplistic terms) by the modems to the ISP are different from ISP to ISP. SDSL modems MAY work, more likely than ADSL, but same reasoning.

Essentially, there is no 'hidden' IP address. You have one IP address. And most providers now, it's static even if it isn't.

I just looked, and I switched to Comcast the middle of March. I've had the same IP since. Rebooted EVERYTHING a number of times - computer, router, cable modem, etc.