Lyle Wincentsen wrote:
    Thanks for your help, that solved the problem.
To answer your question as to why I don't want my php scripts to be
    in the document root tree, it is a potential security issue. I would
    rather not allow anyone to peruse my source code as they may be able
to find ways to exploit it more easily.

Being in the document root does not imply that people will be able to read your code. If they browse to the file, they'll just see the output from the script, not the source itself.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock