I am new to apache and php, so I suspect this will be an easy one to answer.

In short, I am trying to set up my document root to be /var/www/htdocs
and I want my php scripts to run in /var/www/cgi-bin. For some reason
I am getting "500 internal server error" when I try to run a script
(called phpauth.php) in that directory. If I try to run the same
script in the document root, it works fine but I don't want to do
that.

Here are the relevant lines of the error log:

[Sat May 23 22:19:02 2009] [error] [client {mylaptop.ip.address}]
(8)Exec format error: exec of '/var/www/cgi-bin/phpauth.php' failed,
referer: http://{myserver.ip.address}
[Sat May 23 22:19:02 2009] [error] [client {mylaptop.ip.address}]
Premature end of script headers: phpauth.php, referer:
http://{myserver.ip.address}

I am running apache 2.2 on Debian, with the config settings at default
except as shown below.

This is a listing of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default, which is
a symlink to /etc/apache2/sites-available/default. The only changes
are where I commented out lines and replaced them with the lines
immediately below them.

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin webmas...@localhost

#       DocumentRoot /var/www
        DocumentRoot /var/www/htdocs
        <Directory />
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>
#       <Directory /var/www>
        <Directory /var/www/htdocs>
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>
#       ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /var/www/cgi-bin/
#       <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
        <Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
                AllowOverride None
                Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log
        # alert, emerg.
        LogLevel warn
        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined
    Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
    <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
        Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride None
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

I didn't make any changes in apache2.conf or anywhere else. I just
changed /etc/apache2/sites-available/default as shown above, then I
did apache2ctl stop, a2dissite default, a2ensite default, apache2ctl
start.

Thanks
-Lyle