Running apache in chroot adds another layer of security. You can chroot the
apache server and copy over all the libraries you need and only the programs
you need like /bin/sh lets say to start/stop the server. In that way any
security issue or intruder will end up in "jail" and have limited programs
to run. Also what ever damage he/she might cause will be in the chroot
enviroment, which you can esally recover, and not in your real root.

We run all our company production servers in chroot.

Cheers,

Igor