Matthew Tice wrote:
Thanks Nicholas, I'll take a look at that. I had htcacheclean running every 5 min. which could have caused a bulk of my problems. I changed the daemon to kick off every 30 min. instead which seems to have helped - a little. The machine isn't quite as sluggish but the load is still hovering around 2 (5 min. average).

If you see multiple htcacheclean instances running at the same time then you know it's in trouble - they'll probably be saturating the IO capacity for your filesystem.

A load of 2! I dream of the days when my server had a load average of 2! I'm making do with a slow single-core machine at the moment, with a lot of very persistent site visitors, and our load average rarely drops below 50.. :).

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock