Hi,

I have an internal apache 2.2 server that serves a number of
applications (trac, subversion, twiki, ...).  Every application on the
webserver requires LDAP authentication.  To do this I added a
'AuthLDAP...' sections to each '<Location>' section in the apache config
files.  Unfortunately this means:
  1. my LDAP configuration is scattered all over the config files;
  2. when I start firefox it asks me a username and password for every
page I had open from the same server (not sure whether this is actually
a firefox issue or due to the separate authentication section per web
app).

I'd like to change the config of the apache server so it requires a
valid LDAP authentication for any page you try to use on the server and
then only add group restrictions per specific web app.  The idea is that
I have:

        AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
        AuthBasicProvider ldap
        AuthName "Web app server"
        AuthType Basic
        AuthLDAPBindDN ...
        AuthLDAPBindPassword xxxxxxxxxxx
        AuthLDAPURL "ldaps://ad.mydomain.com:636/ou..."

        Require valid-user

only once in 1 central place and then add:

        Require ldap-group ....

for every section.

The question is:
  1. will this work?
  2. where do I put the AuthLDAP... section?
I figure if I put the AuthLDAP... section in my <Directory
"/www/htdocs"> section (=root of the webserver) it will only protect the
static pages in the htdocs directory (e.g. https://server/index.html)
but it will not protect the web apps (e.g. https://server/trac/mytrac)
which are actually coming from completely different parts of the
filesystem, right?

I hope this makes sense to anybody :-)

Thanks in advance,

Nico