Darren Strachan wrote:

*1) *I have downloaded the 2.0.63 source onto a Solaris 10 box and

Why such an old version?  2.2.x is always preferred.

have successfully run the first installation step – “configure –prefix <install dir>”. When I run step two – “make”, it chugs away merrily building things for a while but eventually comes back with an error. The error stack is at the bottom of the mail but in essence it is having a problem building a library called *“libexpat.la”*. I am assuming that there is some kind of problem with the operating system environment but have no idea what this is…. I am using a gcc version 3.4.3 and the “make” command that lives under “/usr/ccs/bin” on Solaris. Is there anything else I need to have in my PATH or something else with the environment that might be missing?**

It's making in expat, which presumably means it hasn't found an
installed expat.  Installing it separately might fix the problem.

Otherwise you could build apr and apr-util first, and then build
httpd using those rather than its bundled copies.
Tweak the --with-expat configure option to apr-util if necessary.

2) If question 1 can’t be solved I am wondering where I can just get hold of a Solaris binary distribution please? The download mirrors only seem to provide links to source distributions for Unix platforms….

You can get packaged versions from Sun's web stack, and I'm sure
there are other alternatives floating around.

--
Nick Kew