access.log.1.gz
> -rw-r----- 1 www-data www-data  167234 2009-09-22 05:25
access.log.2.gz

> Any ideas ?

I'm not familiar with logrotate, except what I've just googled so bare
that in mind.

It looks as though your postrotate script isn't reloading Apache. This
is the cause of your 0 byte logs. Apache is still attempting to write to
the old log file, now compressed so non-existent in its original form.
It's only with the apachectl graceful you are issuing that Apache knows
to use the new log file.

What does the test in the if statement return if you run it outside
logrotate? Its being used to determine whether there is a running Apache
server that needs to be reloaded.

Mick

This is an email from the CPP Group Plc, Holgate Park, York, YO26 4GA;
telephone +44 (0)1904 544500.
This message may contain information that is confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient,
you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. If you
have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately by email, facsimile or
telephone and either
return or destroy the original message.

The CPP Group Plc accepts no responsibility for any changes made to this
message after it has been
sent by the original author.  This email has been scanned for all viruses by
the MessageLabs
Email Security System.