MK wrote:
On 10/20/2009 11:26:45 AM, André Warnier wrote:

What do you get when you enter :
ping dev.docsearch.net
in a command window on your workstation ?

On the working VH's, the ping goes thru. On the non-working one, I get "unknown host".

I'm totally baffled by this. I keep staring at everything looking for a typo, but again, there isn't one...

When you enter a URL like "http://dev.docsearch.net/something"; in the URL bar of your browser, the first thing the browser has to do, is resolve the hostname "dev.docsearch.net" to an IP address. If it cannot do that, then it can never set up a TCP connection to that host, never mind sending it a request.
No wonder thus that Apache never receives it..

So the first thing you have to do, is arrange for your browser to be able to resolve "dev.docsearch.net" to an IP address. Depending on your setup, and whether this is only for testing or you want other workstations to also access that VirtualHost, the solution differs.

If your browser workstation is the same computer as the one where Apache is running, and this is just for testing, then just do this : - find your "hosts" file (in Windows, this is in C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts, in Unix/Linux it is /etc/hosts)
- add a line like this :
127.0.0.1 dev.docsearch.net
- save the file
- close and re-open your browser, and try again

If you are not in the above conditions, then you need to ask the sysadmin responsible for DNS in your network, to add "dev.docsearch.net" to the list of aliases for your Apache host computer.

Note that this is basic TCP/IP stuff, not really an Apache issue.