On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:43 AM, J. Bakshi <joyd...@infoservices.in> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have configured a personal work-space for mine in apache where I can
> experiment with different sites and here is the configuration
>
> ````````````````````````````````````````````
> Alias /personal/joydeep  /var/personal_work_area/joydeep
>
> DocumentRoot  /var/personal_work_area/joydeep/
>
>        <Directory /var/personal_work_area/joydeep/>
>
>          DirectoryIndex index.php
>
>           Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
>                AllowOverride All
>                Order allow,deny
>                allow from all
>
>        </Directory>
> ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
>
> I have placed a folder ( a site) there. So the absolute path of that
> folder is  /var/personal_work_area/joydeep/experiment. Whenever I access
> the folder through browser by visiting
> http://192.168.1.1/personal/joydeep/experimet   I  get "page not found
> error".  the log reports
>
> ``````````````````````````
> URL   /personal/joydeep/experiment/index.php,  referer:
> http://192.168.1.1/personal/joydeep/
> ```````````````````````````````
> It is definitely wrong as it refer the parent folder and not the
> subfolder "experiment" hence the index.php is missing.  Is there any
> problem with my configuration ?

[clip]

I don't really understand the problem. The error log shows that the
index page for the child ("experiment") directory is being requested.
I'm not sure why the referer is showing up the way it is, but that
shouldn't be relevant. The URL of interest in the log is
/personal/joydeep/experiment/index.php, so it would appear that this
file, /var/personal_work_area/joydeep/experiment/index.php, doesn't
exist.

On a probably unrelated note, is there a reason you have an alias set
up for your document root? Aliases are usually used to make
directories that are not under the DocumentRoot available through the
web server, or sometimes to give alternate URLs to content that is
under the DocumentRoot (though RewriteRules are more common for that,
I think).

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net