Brian Mearns wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 10:00 PM, J. Bakshi <joyd...@infoservices.in> wrote:
>
>> Brian Mearns wrote:

>>> [clip]
>>>
>>> I don't really understand the problem. The error log shows that the
>>> index page for the child ("experiment") directory is being requested.
>>> I'm not sure why the referer is showing up the way it is, but that
>>> shouldn't be relevant. The URL of interest in the log is
>>> /personal/joydeep/experiment/index.php, so it would appear that this
>>> file, /var/personal_work_area/joydeep/experiment/index.php, doesn't
>>> exist.
>>>

>> the file exist here.
>>
>> ````````````````````````
>> debian:~# ls -l /var/personal_work_area/joydeep/experiment/index.php
>>
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 wwwrun www 19 2009-10-28 22:22
>> /var/personal_work_area/joydeep/experiment/index.php
>>
>> `````````````````````````````````````````
>>

>>> On a probably unrelated note, is there a reason you have an alias set
>>> up for your document root? "
>>>
>> As I have configured it is actually a personal workspace for
>> experimental work. Actually it is protected by the " Require user"
>> directive that only user can login there.
>>

>>> Aliases are usually used to make
>>> directories that are not under the DocumentRoot available through the
>>> web server, or sometimes to give alternate URLs to content that is
>>> under the DocumentRoot (though RewriteRules are more common for that,
>>> I think).
>>>
>>> -Brian
>>>

> [clip]
>
> Ok, so the file exists, but is still giving a 404? Your original post
> mentions that it always goes to the parent directory, but that's not
> what's happening. Why it's not giving you the file that is there I
> can't say for sure, but I don't think it has anything to do with
> parent directories.
>
> This Alias thing is troubling me, and may be causing your problem. You
> have an alias that points to the same directory as your document root:
> I don't see why specifically this would cause problems, but it doesn't
> sit well with me. Try removing it, see if that happens to do anything.
>
> On the other hand, I noticed a typo in your original post; I assumed
> it was just a typo in your email, but maybe you're actually trying to
> visit the wrong address? http://192.168.1.1/personal/joydeep/experimet
> should have an 'n' in "experimet".
>
> -Brian

Hello Brain,

Thanks for pointing out the typo. I am really ashamed of that.

The alias is there to simplify the personal working space for users.
Say if you visit
http://192.168.1.1/personal/ Brain   and there is already an alias
properly configured you'll get your experiment space. One more point I
like to add that the personal working space is also attached with
webdav. So users get a felling that they works on their hard disk where
the actual effect is on the server and seen by apache. The only issue
here is "page not found" problem. According to the  "DirectoryIndex
index.php"   apache should read the file but here it only works when I give

http://192.168.1.1/personal/joydeep/experiment/index.php

Trying to figure it out.
Thanks