I have a server running Apache 2.2.11_7 on FreeBSD 6-2-RELEASE with webdav
enabled. I have several domains on the machine.

I have the following directive for one domain, which works just fine with
webdav:

<VirtualHost *>
   ServerName webdav.example.com
   ServerAlias files.example.com
   DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/example.com/
   ErrorLog /usr/local/www/example.com/logs/example.error_log
   CustomLog /usr/local/www/example.com/logs/example.access_log combined
   DavLockDB /tmp/DavLock.example
   <location />
     DAV On
     AuthType basic
     AuthName BUops
     AuthUserFile /usr/local/www/example.com/.htdavpass
     Options All
     ForceType text/plain
     <Limit PUT POST DELETE PROPFIND PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
        require valid-user
     </Limit>
   </location>
</VirtualHost>

The document root contains an htaccess file that contains
AddType application/xml .html

(I'm actually not sure why this directive is there)

I have another domain which gives an error overtime I try to login, but its
setup is nearly identical.

<virtualhost *>
   ServerName webdav.example.net
   DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/example.net/
   DavLockDB /tmp/DavLock.examplenet
   <location />
      DAV On
      AuthType Basic
      AuthName "Example.net DAV"
      AuthUserFile /usr/local/www/example.net/.htdavpass
      Options All
      Allow from All
      ForceType text/plain
      <Limit PUT POST DELETE PROPFIND PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
         require user jeans
      </limit>
   </location>
</VirtualHost>

The .htdavpass file for the second domain contains the user jeans and a
password and was setup with the command

htpasswd -bc /usr/local/www/jenandersontarver.com/.htdavpass jeans <PASSWORD>

the error in the logs is:

[error] [client 71.229.144.93] client denied by server configuration:
/usr/local/www/example.net/

The only difference in the files is the require directive, but I've seen that
exact syntax many times, so I don't know why that would cause a failure, and
besides, if I change the directive to 'require valid-user' it still fails.

both directories and all the files in them are owned by the www user (except
.htdavpass which is owned by root), and I cannot figure out what the issue
could be.  AuthName?

--
Death was familiar with the concept of the eternal, ever-renewed hero, the
champion with a thousand faces. He'd refrained from commenting. --The Last