Here is the situation:

I have a php login page at https://login.mydomain.com and an internal
server listening only on localhost http://localhost:12345

I want mod_proxy to send to the internal server only if auth was
successful from the php login page. The user/pass can be in the .php
file itself like if $_POST['password'] = 'abc' because it's just for a
single user and I don't require a database although I don't really
mind using SQLite if mod_proxy requires that I do.

Is this possible (I guess nothing is impossible)? If so, which
authentication module should I be looking into to achieve this?