Hi Andrei,

From: "Andrei Paul Nistor" <paul.nis...@gmail.com>
Hello all.

Question: Is it any way possible to access through the httpd server
resources like objects or remote procedures that run on the server in binary
form and dont get disposed after each call of the resources?

I read lately alot about cgi and the apache server but i haven't found an
answer for what I'm looking for. I developed a small "program" (script) in
javascript that runs local in each browser. I also can comunicate with a
http server via ajax form within the browsers and ask for resouces.  Now I
need a way to create on the serverside a program that builds up compiled
objects that can read each other properties and running in an semi-endless
loop, it also has to run very fast, but it seems i miss the technologie for
this.

Common CGI can be used for this, but its speed is not very good because on each request the server must run the interpreter in a new process and this takes time.

You can use technologies like mod_perl or fastcgi to do this. A mod_perl handler starts when the server starts and ends when you stop/restart the web server. It has the Perl code loaded in the memory, parsed and compiled so it just waits for the requests.

A fastcgi program uses the same technology, but it doesn't depend on Apache.
It can run under Apache, Nginx, lighttpd...

The mod_perl handlers should be written in Perl. fastcgi can run programs written not only in perl, but in many other languages, so it is more flexible.

Some users say that fastcgi is prefered, although I couldn't make a program to run as fast as when using it with mod_perl.

Octavian