> Redirect permanent /usr/share/blah https://www.mydomain.com/blah
>
> Specifying the full path did not work.  This seems a bit inconsistent, since
> redirects under the DocumentRoot specify the full path, including the path to
> the DocumentRoot.

AFAIK, it's always got to be a URL-path and not a filesystem path.

> This is acceptable but I'd prefer to just block access from http rather than
> redirect.  Neither of the following two approaches, placed under the default
> <VirtualHost *>, worked:
>
>      <Directory /blah>
>                AllowOverride None
>                Order deny,allow
>                Deny from all
>        </Directory>

This would be for a literal directory of "/blah" in your filesystem.

>      <Directory /usr/share/blah>
>                AllowOverride None
>                Order deny,allow
>                Deny from all
>        </Directory>

Ought to work if you're really serving a static file mapped to that diretory.

> Out of curiosity, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using an alias to
> redirect and simply creating a file link to the appropriate directory under
> DocumentRoot? If I simply created a link /var/www/blah pointing to
> /usr/share/blah, then I could use a <Directory> container to block access, as
> is done with the /var/www/ssl directory above.  I suspect that there are
> security implications but it isn't clear to me what they are.

Using Alias and a corresponding <Directory> container (2nd arg of
Alias matches Directory container) is pretty normal.   Something else
is confusing your tests.

--
Eric Covener
cove...@gmail.com