On Jan 11, 2010, at 07:52 , pkm2112 wrote:

Hello experts, need help

From http://clc.ncs.com/inventoryappl, I'm redirected to
http://server1.ncs.com/inventoryappl.

I want to hide http://server1.ncs.com/inventoryappl.

Instead of display  a dummy url :
http://s1.ncs.com/inventoryappl

Can it be done with RewriteRule. I'm new to Apache, kindly specify configuration.

Questions like this tend to be hiding several levels of assumptions and/or complexity that's not revealed by the question itself, however ...

I *think* what you're asking is for the ProxyPass directive, not mod_rewrite at all.

ProxyPass /inventoryappl http://server1.ncs.com/inventoryappl
ProxyPassReverse /inventoryappl http://server1.ncs.com/inventoryappl

This will "hide" the back-end URL, while serving content from it.

mod_rewrite doesn't need to be involved in this process at all.

As for the other response that mentioned a big security hole and spoofing DNS, I'm not at all sure what he was talking about, but you don't need to spoof DNS, and there's no security implication whatever in using this technique.

--
Rich Bowen
http://modrewrite.org/