> From: Marcin 'Rambo' Roguski [mailto:ra...@id.uw.edu.pl]
>
> > Marcin, I'm also curious about your statement about security hole when
> > spoofing a domain name via mod-rewrite. Isn't mod-rewrite *all* about
> > spoofing URL's (which can include domain name part)?
>
> As you mentioned, remapping is not the same as spoofing. Imagine someone's
> ability to send you back URI www.yourbankname.com as the current domain
> when you're actually at nastysite.thief.com (obviously, that's simply
> impossible, but if you look at the senders question, it's kinda that
> what he's trying to achieve - of course, in this case, with innocent
> subdomain spoofing)

Spoofing is when you are intentionally lying to the user about which domain
server they are accessing: they think they are at a server in foo.com, but they
are in fact at xx.xx.xx.xx computer that is phishing for the user's data.
Subdomains are handled by the DNS server for the domain. Therefore to spoof a
subdomain you first have to spoof the domain to change which DNS server gets
used. But the OP was not spoofing a domain, just changing the subdomain
displayed, something done zillions of times by mod rewrite users for
maintenance, testing etc.

Also, mod_rewrite provides the P (reverse proxy) and R (redirect) rule
qualifiers for a reason: for proxying and redirecting. Redirecting can be used
to redirect to an entirely different site. If my company has been purchased and
I want to redirect *all* requests for www.foo.com (www.foo.com/whatever...) to
mothership.com then I could use mod-rewrite to redirect to www.mothership.com.
This would not be spoofing, but a legitimate redirection. OTOH if I proxied all
requests to www.foo.com to www.mothership.com (the user wouldn't know since
using ProxyPass etc), I would still not be spoofing, just keeping Foo's
identity intact so my clients are put off by a (friendly) takeover.

Oliver