I don't think it is the router.  If I set the root to a local directory, I
can get apache to start and serve pages fine.  It fails if I use a mapped
drive.

The mapped drive has permissions set to everyone full control.

A side question, any way I can add a windows xp account to a windows 7
machine and vice versa?  I don't like having full control for everyone.