bob wrote:

> Just give the servers different names. apache2 and
> apache2-different_port. Means you have to compile each server with that
> name and your server with the not 80 address will have a different
> Listen port in the httpd.conf file.

Compiling individually is not necessary.  We run dozens of servers off one
compile.

Instead, just have a different directory for each instance.  For instance

/usr/local/apache -- where you install your software

/opt/server1 -- first server
    bin, build, error, icons, include, lib, man, manual, modules,
mime-types, magic are links to equivalent in /usr/local/apache
    cgi-bin, conf, htdocs, logs are directories; conf should be a copy of
/usr/local/apache/conf

/opt/server2 -- set up the same way

Edit /opt/servername/conf/httpd.conf and replace all occurrences of
/usr/local/apache with /opt/servername/apache

Then when you start up use -d /opt/servername/apache -f
/opt/servername/apache/conf in addition to any other flags you'd pass
apachectl.

Sheryl