Well, I posted the problem two weeks ago and nobody responded. I will do it
again.

1. First problem was with Apache 2.2.8 which it is fixed in 2.2.14. When I used
HP precompiled Apache 2.2.8 (HPUX 11.23), the web sites are migrated from HPUX
11.11, Apache 2.0.59 to HPUX 11.23, Apache 2.2.8. The web sites are configured
with Apache virtual hosts which redirects to Tomcat 5.5 AJP which installed on
the same host. For the Apache virtual hosts, it also has static web pages for a
web site. When the problem happened, Apache did not re-direct to Tomcat AJP so
the web site couldn't be accessed. Meanwhile the static web pages could be
accessed by that web site. We restarted Tomcat but no help until Apache was
restarted. Once I down graded to HPUX 11.23, Apache 2.0.59 the problem went
away. I called HP support but no help.
2. The problem that I have now is:

Solaris 10, Apache 2.2.14 reverse proxy --> HPUX 11.23, Apache 2.0.59, Tomcat
5.5 AJP --> Oracle DB

The web sites are having user login page. Once the users enter their user names
and passwords, the page does not refresh itself to tell the users that they
have logged in. Rather the web page still shows login page until the users
click F5 to refresh the web page and then the web page shows the users are
logged in. The same happened when the users logged out.

Now I tested with this setup:

Solaris 10, Apache 2.0.59 reverse proxy --> HPUX 11.23, Apache 2.0.59, Tomcat
5.5 AJP --> Oracle DB

The problem went away.

Note those Apache are pre-compiled either by HP or internet, I did not compile
myself although I can. At the time the latest version compiled by HP was Apache
2.2.8.

Ryan