From: "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Sent: 20 March, 2010 17:24
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [us...@httpd] Locked Apache configuration file

On 3/20/2010 11:52 AM, Marc Buyens wrote:
Hello. Many thanks for this. I am new to W7 and wasn't aware of this.
This is clearly one more Bill Gates quirk. What's the use of assigning
administrator rights to users if they are not used? Anyway, you solved
my problem. Explicitly asking to run as administrator allows me to
change the file. It is a bit like confirming that I am still alive
before editing the file. Some form of technology progress, I assume, but
not a progress of human logic...

The 'workaround' would be for the installer to set up the shortcuts as 'requires
administrator privilege' - no password, no notepad.

But that's really a hack.  Instead I'm just looking towards moving volatile,
configuration things out of c:/Program Files/ into - well that's where I'm
stuck.  There's no /etc/ or /var/ on win32 ;-)

Wialliam,

Why not install Apache and other web serving stuff into a non-protected directory like c:\usr\local\apache

You can customize your installation locations.

C:\Program Files is protected by the OS.