From: "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Sent: 20 March, 2010 18:18
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [us...@httpd] Locked Apache configuration file

On 3/20/2010 1:02 PM, Daniel Reinhardt wrote:

Why not install Apache and other web serving stuff into a non-protected
directory like c:\usr\local\apache

My c:\usr is quite locked down, thank you very much :)

You can customize your installation locations.

We already enable that in the MSI installer.

C:\Program Files is protected by the OS.

C:\ Root is protected by the OS as well.

The point isn't to run it as a unix app on windows, but to be a first class
citizen.  To do that, it's all about respecting conventions.

It appears that convention is now C:\ProgramData\Vendor\Application\

The idea moving fowards is there is only one copy of the program, by
default in the usual location, but the ability to install a skeleton
of a service (conf, logs, htdocs) anywhere, usually ProgramData as the
global/system server, but optionally a private-for-one-user flavor in
their own \Users\[username]\AppData\Local [or Roaming?]
profile, if they like.  Still working this through.

Making win32 more unix-like doesn't help win32 folks become acquainted with
Apache, very much.  But if you like to install everything under c:\opt\httpd
you are welcome to do that, instead :)

William,

You pretty much missed the entire point of my post, as it went clear over your head. You can install anything you want and have it reside outside of c:\program files and it would still work.

On 64bit Windows it comes with 2 Program Files and they are: c:\program files which is for 64bit applications, and then there is c:\program files(x86)\ which is for 32bit applications. There is no default or conventional way of installing things on Windows or Linux.

Reread my reply to you a little bit slower, and you will see what I was trying to say. THe directory path I was giving you as an example was just that an example. I use WAMP Server, and I installed it on my D: drive under d:\apache2.

I am not making it more unix like.

Thanks,
Daniel