On 04/03/2010 12:59 AM, Nick Kew wrote:

On 2 Apr 2010, at 22:29, The Gaijin wrote:

Why would you expect to find anything specific?

Past experience (and the ESR article the sign-up page points to) suggest that in most cases, someone else has already encountered an issue, or done what you're trying to do, and documented the resolution, or results. :)

There's no
recommended 'best practice' for using multiple scripting
languages and environments: you could use the modules,
or CGI/fastcgi, or proxy a backend.  The only issue that arises
from using more than one together is the risk of being bitten
by some bug, but you won't know until you try.

So it seems - searches of the mod_python, mod_perl, and mod_php sites didn't mention anything specifically one way or the other that I saw.

As I noted - it's a server mess I inherited from a different group, and it's working, though there are reports of dysfunction. Unfortunately, there's no hard evidence as to why it's failing. I'm putting in proper monitoring, and looking at logging changes with an eye to "why?" But there's nothing there I'd go to the list with However, my gut reaction at running multiple interpreters in the same instance is "WTF?" and as such, it seemed like a worthwhile parallel path to pursue.

One thing I would suggest: either compile everything yourself
or install everything from distro packages, don't mix-and-match.
The latter might put you at higher risk of linking multiple
versions of the same library.

Excellent suggestion - I'll have to go over the code they're using and see what is being included and from where.

Nick & Nilesh: thank you both for your responses, your time and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Apologies for the delayed response - desktop died while sending, and work called.

R.