Hello there,

I've just joined this group as I'm trying more complicated things now than I've
done before in Apache! Please let me know if I'm not doing anything right.
Thanks for your time.

I have two computers on a home network, let's call them server1 and server2.
They are both running an Apache server on port 80.

server1 hosts my main external web pages, so my router routes
http://home.domain.com to http://server1 (both on port 80)
server2 hosts some private pages, testing, sharing resources etc for my home
network.

All is fine, except I now have some pages from server2 that I want to make
available outside of my home network. These are in a folder on the main site,
i.e. http://server2/folder1

Ideally, I want this to be done in such a way that it is hidden from the user
that they are in fact accessing a different server.
Ideally I want them to go to http://home.domain.com/folder2 and actually be
seeing http://server2/folder1

I have tried doing this with mod_rewrite and failed. Is it possible to
reference a different server with mod_rewrite, or can this only be used for
files on the same machine?

At the moment I have managed to serve the pages, by telling my router to
forward port 8081 to server2:80. Hence, if I go to
http://home.domain.com:8081/folder1 then I get the pages that I want. I have
set up a Redirect directive on server1 so that http://home.domain.com/folder2
redirects to http://home.domain.com:8081/folder1, so I can get to the pages
using the correct URI, but it doesn't stay in the address bar - it is
redirected to the other port.

It is further complicated because the data I want to serve includes streaming
media, and this doesn't seem to cope with the 8081 port.

I've been interested in the "mingle" emails today using proxies, but I can't
get this to work either.

Both machines are running Ubuntu.
server1: Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 | Linux 2.6.31-22-generic | Apache/2.2.12
(Ubuntu)
server2: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS | Linux 2.6.32-22-generic | Apache/2.2.14
(Ubuntu)

Many thanks, and please let me know if I've missed out any vital information!
Cheers,
matt