On 10 Jun 2010, at 15:08, Tom Evans wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Matt Easton <matthewjeas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I've just joined this group as I'm trying more complicated things now than
>> I've done before in Apache! Please let me know if I'm not doing anything
>> right. Thanks for your time.
>>
>> I have two computers on a home network, let's call them server1 and server2.
>> They are both running an Apache server on port 80.
>>
>> server1 hosts my main external web pages, so my router routes
>> http://home.domain.com to http://server1 (both on port 80)
>> server2 hosts some private pages, testing, sharing resources etc for my home
>> network.
>>
>> All is fine, except I now have some pages from server2 that I want to make
>> available outside of my home network. These are in a folder on the main
>> site, i.e. http://server2/folder1
>>
>> Ideally, I want this to be done in such a way that it is hidden from the
>> user that they are in fact accessing a different server.
>> Ideally I want them to go to http://home.domain.com/folder2 and actually be
>> seeing http://server2/folder1
>>
>> I have tried doing this with mod_rewrite and failed. Is it possible to
>> reference a different server with mod_rewrite, or can this only be used for
>> files on the same machine?
>>
>> At the moment I have managed to serve the pages, by telling my router to
>> forward port 8081 to server2:80. Hence, if I go to
>> http://home.domain.com:8081/folder1 then I get the pages that I want. I have
>> set up a Redirect directive on server1 so that
>> http://home.domain.com/folder2 redirects to
>> http://home.domain.com:8081/folder1, so I can get to the pages using the
>> correct URI, but it doesn't stay in the address bar - it is redirected to
>> the other port.
>>
>> It is further complicated because the data I want to serve includes
>> streaming media, and this doesn't seem to cope with the 8081 port.
>>
>> I've been interested in the "mingle" emails today using proxies, but I can't
>> get this to work either.
>>
>> Both machines are running Ubuntu.
>> server1: Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 | Linux 2.6.31-22-generic | Apache/2.2.12
>> (Ubuntu)
>> server2: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 LTS | Linux 2.6.32-22-generic |
>> Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)
>>
>> Many thanks, and please let me know if I've missed out any vital information!
>> Cheers,
>> matt
>
> Enable mod_proxy and mod_proxy_html, add this to the vhost you want
> /folder2 to appear on:
>
> <Location /folder2/>
>  ProxyPass http://server2/folder1/
>  ProxyPassReverse http://server2/folder1/
> </Location>
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

Thank you very much Tom! It was very simple, but I hadn't been using the
proxy_http module.

It was slightly complicated when it came to authentication - the
http://home.domain.com site has digest authentication, and I assumed the
location would inherit this, but it gave a permission error. As soon as I
entered the Auth* directives into the location section as well as its parent,
this has been fine.

Thanks,
matt