I am also facing a similar problem and have not been able to debug
it.But may be this can help you.
In the Apache vhost on Proxy add following

  CustomLog /var/log/apache2/siteinproblem-resp_log resp
  LogFormat "%{X-Forwarded-For}i  %D %t" resp

in the above LogFormat the variables I have used are %{X-Forwarded-For}
%D and %t you may like to check which virtual host or IP is serving
the request coming on your website.
Depending upon your need you may like to record different things being
served by your Apache  virtualhost
you can read about which parameter to put and which not to put in LogFormat here
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_log_config.html
also make sure
if you ping to your website from your proxy server you get a reply
with internal IP and it does not go to resolve from a public IP.
I had a similar problem and that solved.It may not be exact thing for
you but checking the log this way can give you some clue.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:29 AM, J. Bakshi <joyd...@infoservices.in> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have a problem with a site when accesses via proxy. I have no clue yet how
> to debug or in what direction, so please bear with me.
>
> The site in question has no problem to be accessed and to download pdf from
> it. but from a network which has proxy server faces problem during download.
> i.e. it is not possible to download anything from the site but if the users
> come out from their intranet settings and access the sites, they have no
> problem to download. Can I do something within apache so that it can honor
> the request from proxy or is it an issue to be fixed in php ?
>
> I'll be grateful if someone kindly show me the right track to fix/debug this
> issue .
> Thanks for your time.

Tapas
http://mightydreams.blogspot.com