On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:

> And what does your error log say when you get this 404, exactly?
The error logs are blank.

>> When I type http://192.168.1.5/
>> I expect to get a directory listing of different websites which are
>> present in my /var/www
>
> Include apachectl -S / apache2ctl -S
VirtualHost configuration:
wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
*:80                   is a NameVirtualHost
         default server atutor (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/atutor:1)
         port 80 namevhost atutor (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/atutor:1)
         port 80 namevhost claroline (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/claroline:1)
         port 80 namevhost docebolms (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/docebolms:1)
         port 80 namevhost dokeos (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/dokeos:1)
         port 80 namevhost efront (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/efront:1)
         port 80 namevhost olat (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/olat:1)
         port 80 namevhost mydomain.com
(/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/mydomain.com:1)
         port 80 namevhost sakai (/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/sakai:1)
Syntax OK

>along with the full contents of
> the virtual host you think is going to give you a directory listing.
I am not clear on this part.I read this
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/details.html
and in the section where it is talking about Hash Table lookups

I could not understand the meaning of this line
"If the lookup fails (the IP address wasn't found) the request is
served from the _default_ vhost if there is such a vhost for the port
to which the client sent the request. If there is no matching
_default_ vhost the request is served from the main_server."

the configuration of atutor which is being served by default always
is
http://pastebin.com/x5pDyiqt

Which virtualhost shoud serve the request by default I am not clear on
this part as each time the server name has to be different.

--
Tapas