Let us take following scenario

Server A -------------------------------Server B
with Public IP                           On LAN

both A and B are on same subnet
an application on B is accessible when you are having
a GUI on B and that too

only as http://localhost:9090/portal

 the configuration is

ProxyPass / http://localhost:9090/portal
ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:9090/portal

Now I have  server A which has public IP and following websites are
Reverse Proxied from A

http://site1.exampleserver.com
http://site2.exampleserver.com
http://site3.exampleserver.com
http://site4.exampleserver.com

None of the website is on A they are on different IPs internally.

Each of these site1 to site 4 is made accessible via reverse proxy at A.

i.e.
a request to site2.exampleserver.com is served by an apache vhost as follows

<VirtualHost *:80>

        ServerAdmin webmas...@localhost
        ServerName site2.exampleserver.com
        ProxyRequests off
        <Proxy *>
        Order deny,allow
        Allow from all
        </Proxy>

        ProxyPreserveHost Off

        ProxyPass / http://site2.exampleserver.com
        ProxyPassReverse / http://site2.exampleserver.com

</VirtualHost>

Note in above configuration which is vhost for site2 at A,
DocumentRoot is missing since the root of the website / has been
proxied to some internal IP on which actual site will be served to
internet  as

http://site2.exampleserver.com

but to the user it will appear as if http://site2.example.com is
coming from A only and user does not knows about presence of B.

And on internal server B where the site2.exampleserver.com is actually hosted

the server configuration is

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin webmas...@localhost
        ServerName site2.exampleserver.com
        DocumentRoot /var/www

           <Directory />
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>
        <Directory /var/www>
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

So the main site i.e. site2.example.com is itself running on a ReverseProxy
now if I have an application on site2.example.com to access that I
have to open a browser on it and type http://localhost:9090/portal

then how should I write a ProxyPass rule so that the request can pass
2 reverse proxies in this scenario.
--
Tapas