Exactly you actually got the core of my configuration.I have done
exactly what you have said.
I got problem in having such a thing.Some that had not worked.The
problem was with the application generating the URLs which had
path as /portal
/library etc
on their documentation page of the application they have not given the
complete thing.
They access it as http://localhost:9090/portal
but when I checked apache response headers I found application was giving URLs
/library/path/to/css
in addition to any element with path /portal
there are many other such html elements in that applicationl.
I asked this question on their community and their documentation was
wrong which I mailed them.
After which no reply came.
I had gone through complete apache2 documentation in this process in
past 10 days many many times.

So I was going through RFC http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt
which has described a situation where multiple proxies in a chain are
used for an HTTP_REQUEST
So I wanted to try that on apache2.