I can't figure out how to accomplish the following access permissions.

- https://www.example.org/projects/ maps to /var/www/projects/
- The projects folder has access restrictions, only valid-users may view /projects or subdirectories
- All valid-users may view (the autoindex of) /projects
- By default, no one may view any subdirectory, unless it is explicitly enabled (e.g. by a "require group mygroup")

I attempted to accomplish this with:

<Directory "/var/www/projects/">
    AuthName "My projects"
    AuthType Digest
    AuthDigestDomain /projects/ https://www.example.org/projects/
    AuthDigestProvider file
    AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/users.dav
    AuthGroupFile /etc/apache2/groups.dav
    Require valid-user
    Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
</Directory>

<Directory ~ "^/var/www/projects/$">
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory "/var/www/projects/myproject1/">
    Allow from all
    Require group mygroup1
</Directory>

The first and last Directory directive seem to work fine, but the middle <Directory ~ "^/var/www/projects/$"> never seem to match. At least, I get a 403 Forbidden when accesssing https://www.example.org/projects/.

If I replace this directive with a <Directory ~ "^/var/www/projects/"> (thus removing the $), I get a autoindex of /projects, but obviously also of subdirectories, which is not what I want.

I also tried <Directory ~ "^/var/www/projects$"> and <Location ~ "^/projects/$">, but that all gives a 403 Forbidden.

I have the feelings I'm missing something obvious here. I'm using Apache 2.2.9 on Debian Lenny.

How could I make this work?

Regards,
Freek Dijkstra