We're trying a few of your suggestions.  Kind of hard to test it.  Thanks for
the quick responses.

________________________________
From: Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Sent: Thu, September 2, 2010 12:34:43 PM
Subject: Re: [us...@httpd] What IP address is this log entry coming from? (Is
"::" a valid IP address?)

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Apache Issues <apacheiss...@yahoo.com> wrote:

That won't work.  I can't even get results from 'ps aux' to get a pid, SSH is
super laggy (I can type maybe one character every 4 or 5 seconds - if I'm that
lucky), and most commands never complete.

>The hardware has been tested and is fine.  The problem occurs randomly - we've
>gone a week without incident before but we've also had days where this problem
>crops up 4-6 times throughout the day.  The "::" log entries are the first
>real
>clue to the cause.  And the only "solution" we've come up with is to reboot
>the
>box.

wild ideas

any monitoring scripts which can take action at the first sign of the problem
might be more successful than interactive attempts at capturing ps, running
gcore against high CPU process, whatever

change your "Listen portnumber" directives to "Listen 0.0.0.0:portnumber" to
avoid httpd seeing an IPv6 connection (especially one with no source address or
which it somehow mangles to look like that)

CPU rlimits on httpd perhaps?  (I don't think I've ever tried that)

Can you nice the httpd down?  (haven't tried that)

make sure MaxClients isn't way over the capacity of your machine